Monitoring & Evaluation
To understand project impact and ensure “transparency” in processes; generate information to develop a basis for further decision-making and project implementation
Facilitate “go” or “no go” decision-making by evaluating social returns and risks if to pursue a particular investment (in projects or organizations); advice on resource and investment required.
Need Assessment of Rural Clinics in Post-Disaster Areas and Aid Plan Design
In post earthquake Sichuan and Gansu, hundreds of village clinics, township hospitals and county hospitals were heavily damaged. They were responsible for covering medical care for ~10 millions of people. 35% of the population are the poor, whose income are below 3000 yuan per year. VA was invited by a leading international foundation to investigate the needs of hospitals.
- Conducted 90+ field interviews with hospitals, about 300+ interviews with the poor in SC and GS
- Analyzed the segmented hospital market by scale and geography to find out the"patterns" of needs and ranked them by four dimensions
- Analyzed the role village clinics, township hospitals and county hospitals played in rural medical care
- Evaluated their needs in the aspects of equipment, talents and training
British Council “Skills for Social Entrepreneurs” Program Trainee Survey
Since 2009, the British Council (BC) "Skills for Social Entrepreneurs (SfSE)" program has provided training to ~1,000 existing and potential social entrepreneurs in China. In April 2013 VA was invited to conduct a survey among the SfSE trainee network.
- Analyzed the development stage, bottlenecks and needs of SEs in China
- Conducted online questionnaires and phone interviews covering multiple dimensions of SEs’ status quo, including organization type, service type, service area, management team, organizational scale, social impact, and financial performance, development barriers, trainees’ feedbacks and recommendations for SfSE, etc
- Analyzed the impact of SfSE on the trainees and their needs in terms of capacity building, resource, etc.
- Provided recommendations to improve SfSE based on case study of the other capacity building platform and programs in China
Youchange “Evergreen Volunteer Teaching Program” Impact Evaluation
Youchange Social Entrepreneur Foundation (Youchange) “Evergreen Volunteer Teaching Program”, initiated in 2010, recruits experienced retired teachers in cities to train teachers in deprived areas and improve educational quality. VA was invited to evaluate social impact of the program.
- Established evaluation framework covering project input, output, direct/indirect outcome, impact, efficiency of fund usage
- Conducted field visits, phone interviews and surveys at 7 project sites with various stakeholders
- Compared the efficiency and effectiveness among 7 project sites, and identified key success factors
- Provided recommendations to the foundation on how to better monitor and manage the program
2012 One Foundation Transparency Model Evaluation
In 2012, One Foundation initiated the Transparency Award to accredit non-profits with demonstrated transparency, professionalism and sustainability. VA was invited to conduct independent evaluation of 17 candidates of the Award.
- Conducted field interviews with organization representatives, phone interviews with beneficiaries, audit of organizational files
- Composed an assessment report for each organization covering areas of organizational governance and management, program management, human resource management, publicity and accountability, financial management
- Provided suggestions on improving financial transparency among charitable organizations
“Warm-Hearted Finance 2013 Philanthropy Award” Evaluation and Project Support
In April 2014, VA was engaged by China Financial Herald under the China Business Network to provide full support for a new project that would accredit the charitable activities of financial institutions in China.
- Conducted preliminary investigations of charitable activities among financial institutions
- Designed awards, evaluation criteria and selection procedure
- Supported the special reports on philanthropy published in monthly magazines
- Conducted phone or face-to-face interviews as a third party evaluator
- Facilitated round table discussion around corporate social responsibility at the Award Ceremony
See Love Project Evaluation
VA was engaged by Beijing Lianyi Foundation to conduct an impact evaluation of See Love project, a children’s vision care education program.
- Established evaluation framework and ran pilot evaluation at one school
- Adjusted framework based on piloting result
- Delivered training to evaluation volunteer team in Beijing and Shanghai
- Analyzed data from evaluation team and provided evaluation report
Inner Mongolia Red Cross “Brightness Action” Evaluation
In December of 2017, VA was invited by Inner Mongolia Red Cross to evaluate impact and sustainability of one of its key projects “Brightness Action”
- Designed evaluation framework, KPI, and data collection tools
- Took field trips to selective project sites and conducted interviews and beneficiary surveys
- Generated an evaluation report, highlighting project progress, impact, management effectiveness, scalability, and improvement suggestions